Some of the ways IOT can help manage climate change –
• Energy efficiency: IoT devices can be used to monitor energy usage and identify areas where energy can be saved. Smart thermostats, smart lights, and other smart home devices can be used to reduce energy consumption in homes and businesses. For example, smart thermostats can be used to automatically adjust the temperature of a home when no one is present, and smart lights can be programmed to turn off when they are not in use. Artificial intelligence and machine learning can id patterns based on relevant data can identify problems and can be used in warning sign detection, automated deployment of response systems and management of renewable energy solutions.
• Renewable energy: IoT devices can be used to monitor and control renewable energy sources, such as solar panels and wind turbines. This can help to make renewable energy more reliable and efficient.
• Transportation: IoT devices can be used to improve transportation efficiency and reduce emissions with smart traffic lights, smart parking meters, and other smart transportation devices. For example, traffic sensors can be used to optimise traffic flow and reduce congestion, and smart cars can be used to improve fuel efficiency. Drones can deliver emergency relief supplies and provide intelligence to artificial intelligence response system and human first responders.
• Agriculture: IoT devices can be used to improve agriculture. Precision agriculture technologies, such as drones and sensors, can be used to improve agricultural efficiency and reduce emissions. For example, sensors can be used to monitor soil moisture and nutrient levels, and drones can be used to apply pesticides and herbicides more precisely. Sensors can also be used in weather forecasting systems, given the tremendous impact of extreme weather events, like droughts, floods, etc on crops which impacts local populations.
• Waste management: Smart waste bins and sensors can be used to improve waste management and reduce emissions. Sensors can be used to monitor waste levels and identify areas where waste is being improperly disposed of.
These are just a few examples of the many ways that IoT technology is being used to address climate change. As IoT technology continues to develop, we can expect to see even more ways to use it to fight climate change.